Posts Tagged ‘Vacuum Forming’

Just shy of 12 weeks in the making, the SNES-001 Advance is complete and ready to find it’s new home! This has been one of the most fun projects that I’ve completed, mainly because it was a concept that solved an over 20 year old problem. Though of course these days, playing consoles this old on a TV via original hardware is a rarity, but I think back to the times I was 11 or 12 years old and always having to fight for TV time because someone else with more influence than I had was using it! So enter the SNES-001 Advance, which has two custom controllers that allow for up to two players sharing the same point of view in the palm of their hands!

This was a rather simple mod by design and theory, but took a great deal of time to get correct. Honestly the wiring was the easiest part of this, but getting the controllers to function correctly via the tact switches or the D-pad was the most frustrating part of the whole build! But these issue were over come, leaving a solid and fun system to play with. The wooden, LED encasement of the system I think adds a nice touch as a collectors item, combining rustic with a modern flair which I guess pretty much sums up the reason for a lot of console based mods.

This will also be for sale on eBay and when I have that up and listed, I’ll make another post! Should be interesting to see where this goes!

But as always, check out the video below as well as the links to the forums for more info on the build! Thanks for watching!

Made By Bacteria Work Log Link

And Here is the Link to Ebay! Happy Bidding!  Current Starting Bid of $499.99

 

The system is all but complete. Just a few more touch-ups on the system and controller and a few more hours of “testing” and this thing should be good to go to market! Well, ebay anyway. I’ve got many updates in my worklog over at MBB so be sure to see where it’s at. But for now, enjoy the short video and more updates will be happening soon!

So while I was waiting for the paint to dry on the second controller of the SNES-001 Advance, I got to going through some of my You Tube videos and really had a hard look at one of those situations where one expects a particular outcome and is completely surprised by a 180 turn of events.

The video in question is the one of “The Nimbus II”, my third and last N64p I’ve made to date. All things considered, this was probably the most complex and best portable system I’d ever constructed. Sleek, comfortable and truly a blast to create, it is also the least noticed mod I’ve ever done. My first mod even kicked it’s tale by almost 2X (in relation to You Tube views)!

The reasons don’t escape me though as by the time this was released, anything news worthy related to an N64p had been burnt to a crisp, but I still really expected a little more due to the quality of the system itself. However, it never happened and I had to watch other portables, some finished with duct tape and super glue, rocket past me in a flame pirated glory.

But, then I remind myself that this hobby isn’t about how much your project get’s noticed,(though this is a much added bonus that bares motive) but the self pride in knowing you’ve completed something worth while and stuck with to the end.

So, as I crack a Budweiser and think up lyrics to another “Real Men of Genius” riff, I salute you Mr. basement dweller modder man, who fearlessly creates in the face of an absent interest and continues to hone his practical, yet useless use of skill!

With that said, here’s the video that I was whining about.

Rainy days are great for progress! My new A/V cable with 3.5mm jacks & plugs works 100% with little to no interference unlike what I was getting before. Picture is clear and audio is crisp.  I started wiring up the buttons for the controller and only have a handful more to do. I’ve seen a lot of things I’ve could have done better so when I start the next one I’ll have a good idea as to what needs to be done to do it right the first time.

Current problem at the moment is the D-Pad as the way I have it mounted is making it not as responsive as I’d like. So I’ll be playing around with that a bit and hopefully I can get it fully functional. As mentioned on the forums, I will be selling this unit once complete, so I need to make sure the quality is there because if my name is going on this outside of my home, it damn well better hold up!

But, as always be sure to check out the forum for a more in-depth update as well as more pics!  Shooting to have this done by the end of April, but we’ll see how that goes. I will be in Holderness tomorrow evening working on the final design for the vacuum box of my vacuum former. This is going to be one hell of a machine when it’s done. Though it won’t be as grand as a $10,000 dollar system, this will be the highest end DIY vac-former out there. Keep you all informed about that one as well!

That’s right, a new project! Since all the upgrade to our home’s electrical system has been completed, I now have an adequate power supply to my work shop and Vacuum Former! This is going to cut down greatly on set up time and will really make the whole experience more enjoyable.

With that said, he’s the front half case shell of the new portable. This is probably one of the smallest and sleekest that I’ve made and it uses that same mold that my Mario/Zelda portable used. I don’t have the back formed yet as I’m not sure how thick it’s going to need to be but the front half looks like most will be able to fit in it as it is. So I may be able to make this overall thickness a little more than an 1″! But the foot print of the Sega 3 is very small.

But in any case, here’s the pic and I’ll be updating you as I go along!