Posts Tagged ‘vacuum formers’

As my 3 week vacation is quickly coming to an end, the modding time has intensified. Spending close to 5 hours straight in my basement today alone, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m either obsessed the extraordinary, or bored with the ordinary, can’t figure out which…

Anyway, that really doesn’t matter.

In a combined effort from yesterday and today, I completed several tasks that have made the controller almost ready for testing. This was quite a post over on the MBB forums so for the fine details and more photos, I’ll again send you in that direction. But a quick list of what was completed since Friday;

  1. Vacuum-Formed the back half of the controller
  2. Cut slots for N64 Memory Card holder and VGA cable out which will be used to connect the controller to the systems.
  3. Mounted and wired N64 Controller
  4. Completed mounting of all controller buttons
  5. Added header junction for the controller’s interface
  6. Wired the D-pad and Start/Select buttons to the header.

Still lots to do but this project is drawing close to completion after nearly a year and a half in the making. More updates of course when I get more done.

Rainy days are great for progress! My new A/V cable with 3.5mm jacks & plugs works 100% with little to no interference unlike what I was getting before. Picture is clear and audio is crisp.  I started wiring up the buttons for the controller and only have a handful more to do. I’ve seen a lot of things I’ve could have done better so when I start the next one I’ll have a good idea as to what needs to be done to do it right the first time.

Current problem at the moment is the D-Pad as the way I have it mounted is making it not as responsive as I’d like. So I’ll be playing around with that a bit and hopefully I can get it fully functional. As mentioned on the forums, I will be selling this unit once complete, so I need to make sure the quality is there because if my name is going on this outside of my home, it damn well better hold up!

But, as always be sure to check out the forum for a more in-depth update as well as more pics!  Shooting to have this done by the end of April, but we’ll see how that goes. I will be in Holderness tomorrow evening working on the final design for the vacuum box of my vacuum former. This is going to be one hell of a machine when it’s done. Though it won’t be as grand as a $10,000 dollar system, this will be the highest end DIY vac-former out there. Keep you all informed about that one as well!

Productive weekend. Managed to get both of these case commissions finished and prepped for Monday shipments. One is on it’s way to California and the other to the UK. Though not super complex jobs, these two were pretty much at the limit of my vacuum formers size, especially with CptDemos’ mold. It took 4 sheets of plastic to get it right as the first two failed horribly.

But here are a couple of pics. Evil Nod’s (UK) is not cut down to size though, hence the reason why the edges don’t line up properly. He was unsure as to how much space he was going to need, so I left the thickness cutting to him.