Posts Tagged ‘Hack-a-day’

So today one of my favorite tech blogs “Hack-A-Day” posted an article of a really cool hardware gaming mod from Nolan S, otherwise know as [Fibbef]. This mod took a Sega Dreamcast and put a screen and audio speakers in the controller using a USB cable and custom break out box for the A/V…wait…that sounds surprisingly familiar.

The mod is excellent, the quality and the effort speak for themselves with this one, but the coolest part is that it’s directly related one of my older projects that did the exact same thing. The SNES-001 Advance 2 was my 2nd attempt at off TV gaming which eventually lead to the creation of the Cross Plane. The Advance used a breakout box to split the signals to the TV and the controllers so up to 3 video sources could be mirrored at once.

It’s just a really cool feeling to have that people are genuinely interested enough in some of my work to try it out for themselves, improve upon it and make it their own. I’m just excited that it’s making a bit of an impact with other modder’s that are also getting noticed for their work.

Good Job Nolan!

So for the fun of it, I decided to enter the Hack A Day Trinket contest. Basically they want to see the most creative and fun way their logo can be slapped on something so I figured why not engrave it into the back of my latest project? The PlayStation 2 Advance has now been permanently branded with my favorite blogs likeness.  There are 20 winners and a cool prize (an Adafruit 5v Trinket Micro Controller) for all 20. So we shall see if they like my efforts!

Still up for grabs people! This is the only one of its kind and is a great bargain! I’d still like $225 for it but if you have a reasonable offer, I’ll gladly give it consideration. Please let me know, all proceeds go to help make me less poor…it’s a sad story. hehehe.

Wow, been a busy day and at the end of it all is a nice, sleek looking portable! This certainly turned into a project that was a bit more involved than I was hoping for, but nevertheless, I’m 100 times happier with the outcome of this one than the first version.

Everything from internal layout and external handling has been altered and for the better. You can check out the full work log here over at MBB or you can watch the video at the end of the post to get a feel for how this all came together.

So, with that out of the way, I redid this so I could sell and not feel morally guilty about it! It’s still not perfect, but it is something I’m proud of. Let me know what you think of you’re interested in this! $225 shipped is what I’m asking which considering there’s about $180 worth of parts alone and 25 hours in just this version, that’s not a very steep price. hehe.

Well, have many other projects to attend to! Hope you enjoy!

Original GeneBoy Video

The idea was simple. As noted in the previous post, I was selling (and have since sold) my N64 portable in an attempt to gain funds to buy my new CNC Router that I need for a variety of different reasons. Going on that logic, I thought it was a good idea to sell my latest portable, the GeneBoy Sega Genesis portable I did up earlier this year.

However, this particular portable of mine was not in a condition I would feel morally decent about if I were to take money for it. The paint was cracking and some of the buttons were not working well either. So I figured a quick re-casing would do nicely.  Yeah…quick, hahahaah…:-/ This spawned a whole mass of ideas to make this machine better and much more durable as I learned with the SNES-001 Advance, half-assed often requires two or three times the work in the end, and if this is going to a potential buyer with my name attached to it, it’d better hold up!

So where this stands now is about halfway done with the case work. I hope to have this completed by Wednesday, provided I don’t try and get smart again, but that’s bound to happen. Anyway, if you’re interested in buying this from me, I’m looking for $200 which for the amount of time and material that’s gone into this as a whole is really not a bad deal at all. Just let me know as the Nimbus II was sold in less than a day, though bargains will do that!


Though I finished this off a week or so ago, I finally got around to making a video of it. It’s really just a quick demo to show how the addition of variable regulators, volt meters and an LED tester make this unit a very handy one indeed. I hope to be putting this to work before too long with some future projects.

Not much else can be said that hasn’t already been said in the previous video, but here is a pic of the working unit as well as links to the Made-by-Bacteria forum work log. Stay tuned for some even more exciting projects!