Posts Tagged ‘SNES-001 Advance’

Just shy of 12 weeks in the making, the SNES-001 Advance is complete and ready to find it’s new home! This has been one of the most fun projects that I’ve completed, mainly because it was a concept that solved an over 20 year old problem. Though of course these days, playing consoles this old on a TV via original hardware is a rarity, but I think back to the times I was 11 or 12 years old and always having to fight for TV time because someone else with more influence than I had was using it! So enter the SNES-001 Advance, which has two custom controllers that allow for up to two players sharing the same point of view in the palm of their hands!

This was a rather simple mod by design and theory, but took a great deal of time to get correct. Honestly the wiring was the easiest part of this, but getting the controllers to function correctly via the tact switches or the D-pad was the most frustrating part of the whole build! But these issue were over come, leaving a solid and fun system to play with. The wooden, LED encasement of the system I think adds a nice touch as a collectors item, combining rustic with a modern flair which I guess pretty much sums up the reason for a lot of console based mods.

This will also be for sale on eBay and when I have that up and listed, I’ll make another post! Should be interesting to see where this goes!

But as always, check out the video below as well as the links to the forums for more info on the build! Thanks for watching!

Made By Bacteria Work Log Link

And Here is the Link to Ebay! Happy Bidding!  Current Starting Bid of $499.99

 

The SNES-001 Advance has a new crib to crash at! Build details can be found over on my thread at MBB, but basically we have pine box, lined with black acrylic felt, a clear sheet of LEXAN plastic, brass hinges, 4 blue LEDs and 2 White, running from an external 12V power supply. This box took probably about 8 hours or so from start to finish, but I still need to find some kind of clasp to keep the cover closed so it will hold tight. Pretty happy with this though and if you’d like to see more pics, again the build log on MBB, as well as ModRetro, Ben Heck and Racket Boy all have them for your viewing pleasure!

The system is all but complete. Just a few more touch-ups on the system and controller and a few more hours of “testing” and this thing should be good to go to market! Well, ebay anyway. I’ve got many updates in my worklog over at MBB so be sure to see where it’s at. But for now, enjoy the short video and more updates will be happening soon!

So after some fun tuning up my skills with Adobe PhotoShop and experimenting with a Krylon based Decal paper, I got the first trial of decal prints done on the second controller for the SNES-001 Advance. This controller in it’s layout alone is far ahead of it’s older brother and really will be a much more usable and aesthetically pleasing than its counter part.

On top of this, I now have all the external components mounted. I also adjusted the input plugs/jacks of the A/V and power cables, making the A/V a 3.5mm jack & plug and the power a 3/32″ jack & plug. This was done because even though you are easily able to tell which plug is stereo/mono, it was damn near impossible to tell which jack was stereo/mono creating a potential disaster if they got swapped by accident. So now each plug only fits in the proper jack and I will make this adjustment on the other controller as well.

As for the decals, I’m most likely going to edit the button decal because I’m not 100% happy with the letter placement as I just kind of guessed at it to begin with. But now that I have a point of reference, I should be able to put them in their proper place. I’ll hopefully be getting more done tomorrow though it’s still supposed to be a beautiful day and I love the sun! But we’ll see and I’ll update when they become available! Cheers!

Rainy days are great for progress! My new A/V cable with 3.5mm jacks & plugs works 100% with little to no interference unlike what I was getting before. Picture is clear and audio is crisp.  I started wiring up the buttons for the controller and only have a handful more to do. I’ve seen a lot of things I’ve could have done better so when I start the next one I’ll have a good idea as to what needs to be done to do it right the first time.

Current problem at the moment is the D-Pad as the way I have it mounted is making it not as responsive as I’d like. So I’ll be playing around with that a bit and hopefully I can get it fully functional. As mentioned on the forums, I will be selling this unit once complete, so I need to make sure the quality is there because if my name is going on this outside of my home, it damn well better hold up!

But, as always be sure to check out the forum for a more in-depth update as well as more pics!  Shooting to have this done by the end of April, but we’ll see how that goes. I will be in Holderness tomorrow evening working on the final design for the vacuum box of my vacuum former. This is going to be one hell of a machine when it’s done. Though it won’t be as grand as a $10,000 dollar system, this will be the highest end DIY vac-former out there. Keep you all informed about that one as well!