Posts Tagged ‘Awesome’

The SNES-001 Advance was a huge success! I’d like to thank all who took a look and helped tip off the main sites like Engadget, Hack-A-Day and PC World! All three of these major news sites ran some pretty good press about the unit and I’m quite happy with the end result! Though the unit is still on eBay and no bids as of yet, it still has a day and there have been over 1600 views on the page and that in it’s own right has been amazing! So I’ll keep you up to date with that as more info become available.

But, no good triumph comes without consequence. Over the past three weeks I’ve managed to loose my job of nearly 5 years and have had one of my dogs (a Boston Terrier) fall ill with an eye ulcer which ended up costing my wife and I a cool $2500 to fix…yeah, ouch and a “WTF!!!” kind of ouch. So needless to say, the penny pinching is now upon us as our savings have been drained and I won’t be bringing in the same cash as I used to. But with that said, I do have a new job lined up to start on the 16th of July. So I’ve got some free time in between, but still won’t be taking the vacations we thought we would be.

But enough of that, this is a modding blog, real life is for the day time! I’ve got a couple more projects going that hopefully will hopefully add to the list of completed mods shortly, including a GameBoy Advance mod and finally going to finish up my computer desk with a few major adjustments from what it was supposed to be initially. I’ll be making posts about these in the future, but of course, the work logs can be found over at made-by-bacteria.com.

Again, I thank everyone who helped make the SNES-001 Advance such a success and we’ll see where these next projects go.

 

The SNES-001 Advance has a new crib to crash at! Build details can be found over on my thread at MBB, but basically we have pine box, lined with black acrylic felt, a clear sheet of LEXAN plastic, brass hinges, 4 blue LEDs and 2 White, running from an external 12V power supply. This box took probably about 8 hours or so from start to finish, but I still need to find some kind of clasp to keep the cover closed so it will hold tight. Pretty happy with this though and if you’d like to see more pics, again the build log on MBB, as well as ModRetro, Ben Heck and Racket Boy all have them for your viewing pleasure!

The system is all but complete. Just a few more touch-ups on the system and controller and a few more hours of “testing” and this thing should be good to go to market! Well, ebay anyway. I’ve got many updates in my worklog over at MBB so be sure to see where it’s at. But for now, enjoy the short video and more updates will be happening soon!

So after some fun tuning up my skills with Adobe PhotoShop and experimenting with a Krylon based Decal paper, I got the first trial of decal prints done on the second controller for the SNES-001 Advance. This controller in it’s layout alone is far ahead of it’s older brother and really will be a much more usable and aesthetically pleasing than its counter part.

On top of this, I now have all the external components mounted. I also adjusted the input plugs/jacks of the A/V and power cables, making the A/V a 3.5mm jack & plug and the power a 3/32″ jack & plug. This was done because even though you are easily able to tell which plug is stereo/mono, it was damn near impossible to tell which jack was stereo/mono creating a potential disaster if they got swapped by accident. So now each plug only fits in the proper jack and I will make this adjustment on the other controller as well.

As for the decals, I’m most likely going to edit the button decal because I’m not 100% happy with the letter placement as I just kind of guessed at it to begin with. But now that I have a point of reference, I should be able to put them in their proper place. I’ll hopefully be getting more done tomorrow though it’s still supposed to be a beautiful day and I love the sun! But we’ll see and I’ll update when they become available! Cheers!

So while I was waiting for the paint to dry on the second controller of the SNES-001 Advance, I got to going through some of my You Tube videos and really had a hard look at one of those situations where one expects a particular outcome and is completely surprised by a 180 turn of events.

The video in question is the one of “The Nimbus II”, my third and last N64p I’ve made to date. All things considered, this was probably the most complex and best portable system I’d ever constructed. Sleek, comfortable and truly a blast to create, it is also the least noticed mod I’ve ever done. My first mod even kicked it’s tale by almost 2X (in relation to You Tube views)!

The reasons don’t escape me though as by the time this was released, anything news worthy related to an N64p had been burnt to a crisp, but I still really expected a little more due to the quality of the system itself. However, it never happened and I had to watch other portables, some finished with duct tape and super glue, rocket past me in a flame pirated glory.

But, then I remind myself that this hobby isn’t about how much your project get’s noticed,(though this is a much added bonus that bares motive) but the self pride in knowing you’ve completed something worth while and stuck with to the end.

So, as I crack a Budweiser and think up lyrics to another “Real Men of Genius” riff, I salute you Mr. basement dweller modder man, who fearlessly creates in the face of an absent interest and continues to hone his practical, yet useless use of skill!

With that said, here’s the video that I was whining about.

Well, audio and video through a controller wire works! My proof of concept is good. All that’s left to do now is wire up the controller and all the tact switches. As always please check out the forums for more info, but enjoy the video, though it’s a bit shaky and pretty short!