Posts Tagged ‘commissions’

So I did a commission for a forum member called [FarmerDwight] who was looking for a unique controller used for his emulated NES games on his PC. Though I’ve never been a fan of emulation for many reasons, after finding out his wants I really couldn’t pass up the chance to make this for him. Basically he wanted a controller for his emulated NES games with a USB input. Thats really not that difficult to find as the vast majority of PC controllers are USB anyway. The trick was to get that controller to work while using the original buttons in the Game Boy itself.

Now this really wasn’t much different in theory to many of the other controllers that I’ve built. You have two contacts, one signal, one ground and a tact switch (or PCB pad) that once pressed completes the circuit and registers as a button press for the duration you hold it down. However there was one key difference to what I’ve done in the past and that was the fact that the PCB pads in this case were already integrated with the mother board of the Game Boy.

To make a long story short, that doesn’t work so hot when you have two separate devices trying to function off of the same ground lines. I was getting all kinds of screwy actions when I first powered it on, not to mention the Emulator controller provided went against everything I knew about how PCB pads worked.  This project took me over 10 hours. 2 of which were basic labor and putting together and 8 hours of “WTF is wrong with this thing” troubleshooting.

In the end though, all came out well and though the Game Boy will never work again as a Game Boy, he can still play all the NES, Atari and whatever other emulated consoles out there with 8 buttons or less, including Game Boy.

More info and pics on the MBB forums. But I’m happy with it, and so is the customer which is all that matters! Now I just have to figure out how I’m going to sleep tonight knowing that my router will be arriving in the afternoon tomorrow! Expect a few more cool updates when I break that package open!

Last weekend I did a small case commission for ModRetro user [Bud] who has been an old trading partner for awhile now. The speakers that are in the two controllers for the SNES-001 Advance project were from him as well the Li-P0 batteries that are in my GeneBoy came from [Bud] as well.

Two weeks ago I got a request from him to take the case he had in store for another (and incredibly small) N64 portable he’ll be working on over the summer. However he was having trouble getting the button holes to have the nice finished look as he lacked a Step-Bit and countersink. I took this on as a favor to him as after the summer, he will be joining the men and women of our Air National Guard and will be serving our country in the years to come, so I applaud you!

With that said, [Bud] also sent the buttons and the pre-drilled case halves for me to clean up. Simple enough, however I still managed to find a way to screw it up… Not noticing that the back half of the case had two holes in it for Z and R, I assumed that the A & B buttons he had sent were going on the left side (I have no idea why I thought that) and then the two actual A&B buttons for the controller were the matching NES buttons. Long story short, I made an oops, however when he got them, he found a solution that would work out just fine and all way good! Much to my relief as I really don’t like screwing up!

But good luck to you [Bud] and I can’t wait to see your progress with this. Keep in touch!

Productive weekend. Managed to get both of these case commissions finished and prepped for Monday shipments. One is on it’s way to California and the other to the UK. Though not super complex jobs, these two were pretty much at the limit of my vacuum formers size, especially with CptDemos’ mold. It took 4 sheets of plastic to get it right as the first two failed horribly.

But here are a couple of pics. Evil Nod’s (UK) is not cut down to size though, hence the reason why the edges don’t line up properly. He was unsure as to how much space he was going to need, so I left the thickness cutting to him.