Every now and again I get an idea that actually pans out the way I intended. This was not one of those cases, but the end result was still in line with the original idea. As the previous posts state, what I’ve completed phase 1 on is a multi-voltage power supply that connects quickly and is switchable. And it was made out of 90% spare parts!
A key change from the original design is that after a regulator exploded on me, I decided that I needed something a bit more stable. A PC power supply unit was forced into my head by a member on the MBB forums and as much as I hate to admit it, it worked out much better than my original plan. Though it’s not until after the fact he tells me that the PSU has enough amps going through it to fry an elephant and that connecting with it could be quite bad for my health. Important safety tip, thanks Electro.
So, next up is phase two which will be the addition of two variable regulators and an LCD voltmeter which will allow me to really have any number of voltages in the 12V range. Though I’m not sure I’ll need to have anything that specific, the ability to get to that odd voltage will be a good benefit to have.
As always, check us out on the MBB forums for some more info and I’ll post some more updates when I get them on the start of phase 2!